Join Vestas and you’ll cultivate your career in an inspiring environment at the world’s leading wind turbine manufacturer, which has an ongoing dedication to sustainability. We value individual initiative, the desire to take on responsibility, and the right balance between creativity and quality in all solutions. At Vestas your success is our success.
Industrialisation > Test & Validation > Wind Capture V&R
As part of the Global Testing Business Unit we test all elements of the wind turbine that contribute to "Capturing the Wind" The main parts are Blades to 80m in length and Pitch Bearings to 5m diameter. Before a prototype Turbine can fly we have to successfully complete a Calcification Society witnessed extreme load test.
Our small team (25) of Engineers Specialists and Technicians work closely with the Blade and Bearing design teams to ensure on time and in budget results. As the only Blade and Bearing Test facility we form a vital part of the larger Vestas organization.
- To assist the Department Manager with the overall delivery of the test program from initial test request, overseeing the test sequence completion through to delivery of the report, results and documentation.
- Review specifications, dynamic calculations and review equipment requirements.
- Responsible for the timely execution of test and delivery of results.
- To retrieve, maintain and process blade test data and prepare reports using the Document Management System.
- Specify test rig control systems and data acquisition requirements.
- To assist in maintaining a database for test results for secure search and retrieval.
- Set-up and run tests using Moog controllers / HBM data logging systems. Tests are generally powered using hydraulic rams combined with 3 stage valves.
- Preparation of calculation spreadsheets using M S Excel
- Preparation of test reports to delivery targets
- Preparation of technical specifications from outline briefs
- Preparation of technical documentation to support process improvements
- Test control and DAQ – LabView (training may be given)
- Support Design of electrical/electronic interfaces
- Mechanical Test Systems Integration
- Developing reports and specifications tests with Test Engineers
- Liaising with Engineers and Project Managers in Denmark and UK
- Facilitating the DVPL and overseeing the execution of the plan
- Participating in peer reviews and technical reviews where necessary
- Reporting to the Department Manager on deliverables in accordance with VW2M
- Degree in Electrical/Electronics/Mechanical Engineering or similar
- Control Engineering Degree an advantage
- High level of safety awareness
- Good attention to detail with a methodical and flexible approach
- Proved competence in mechanical testing, instrumentation engineering or testing in composites aerospace/automotive/marine industries or similar
- Experience of sub-structuring fatigue tests
- Hardware–in–loop testing
- Vibration analysis
- Desirable practical knowledge of: hydraulic systems, 3 stage valves, Moog controllers and HBM data acquisition
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Supporter and team player
- Excellent communicator
- Self-reliant worker used to solving complex problems
- Analytical and logical thinker
- High value of integrity, trustworthiness and quality consciousness
- High quality written and oral reporting in English
What we offer
We offer a challenging and responsible role, working within and exciting department in our business, coupled with a competitive salary and benefits package.
Location will be at our Isle of Wight facilities - West Medina Mills, Stag lane, Newport, Isle of Wight.
WIND. IT MEANS THE WORLD TO US.
By joining Vestas, you join the only global energy company dedicated 100% to wind energy. Together with our customers, we have installed more than 51.000 turbines in over 70 countries, and we remain committed to increase that number via our superior, cost-effective wind technologies, products and services.
Since Vestas was founded in 1979, Vestas has achieved a market-leading position with more than 60 GW of installed wind turbines or around 19% of total global capacity.
Every day, everyone at Vestas works to make Vestas the undisputed global wind leader and the world’s energy mix more sustainable – join us, and be part of ensuring a sustainable future for our planet.