Job Title - Electrical Wind Turbine Technician
Hours: 37 hours per week (generally).
Holidays: 25 days and Bank Holidays.
Contract: Permanent after 3 month probationary period.
Salary: Negotiable – dependent on experience.
Location: Based at our headquarters in Inverness but operating across various sites in Scotland and the Orkney Islands, generally. Our turbines are located at Westray, Mainland Orkney, the Isle of Harris, Inverness and Cowdenbeath.
Closing Date: 27th February 2017
Windflow Technology Limited is a New Zealand based designer and manufacturer of wind turbines. Our first turbine in the UK was installed on Westray, in the Orkney Islands, Scotland in early 2013, and we have installed 7 more since. We have been manufacturing and installing wind turbines for the last decade in New Zealand, where 98 Windflow 500s are up and running. The Windflow 500 turbine is a 500 kW, two-bladed turbine with a 33 m diameter rotor. Its light weight, innovative design is cost-efficient and reliable, and suitable in strong turbulent wind conditions.
As one of our lead Wind Turbine Maintenance Technicians you will be responsible for the maintenance, repair, upgrading, inspections and monitoring of our UK wind turbine fleet. You are expected to have advanced diagnostic skills in mechanical and electrical control systems. You will be required to work alone and with a small team of technicians to ensure that the completion of tasks are within the specified time frames and meet strict specification criteria.
The ideal candidate will have a willingness to be flexible and do whatever it takes to get the job done.
You will need to develop a detailed knowledge of the wind turbine fleet to enable you to perform routine and unscheduled maintenance and other field service related tasks. Working to the highest safety and environmental standards, you will undertake periodic service inspections, audit inspections, component replacement and perform troubleshooting.
The main responsibilities include
• Operation, maintenance, troubleshooting, repair, upgrading, inspection and monitoring of the UK wind turbine fleet.
• Fulfilment of project requirements in regards to program, specification, health and safety procedures.
• Supervision of other technicians and subcontractors on site alongside other managers, overseeing work, including carrying out safety inductions, tool box talks, controlling quality of work, the use of plant and tools, waste reduction, upkeep of plant and facilities, use of personal protection equipment.
• Represent the company in a professional and proactive manner in all dealings
• Co-ordination of all aspects of the works and securing the completion of all related documentation.
• Maintaining spares, tooling and site facilities for the UK fleet.
• Registration of time and material consumption.
Candidates should have
• Preferably be qualified to HNC Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
• Hold current City & Guilds/NVQ level 3 electrical 17th Edition Certification
• City and Guilds 2391 testing and inspection preferable.
• At least 5 years of relevant industrial electrical experience, ideally including high voltage electrical systems.
• Proven experience of electro-mechanical and hydraulic systems.
• SCADA and PLC control system experience.
• Computer skills; including Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook.
• Excellent communication skills and strong hold on English language.
• The ability to read and apply electrical & mechanical drawings.
• Ability to work as part of a team and independently.
• A pragmatic approach to problem solving.
• GWO Working at Heights qualified.
• Physically able to work at heights (30m off the ground) and within confined spaces, potentially within adverse weather conditions in remote locations.
• Willing to travel on regular basis and be flexible in working times. Short notice maybe required from time-to-time but adequate notice will be provided wherever possible.
• High level of integrity.
• Self-motivated, resourceful with a strong attention to detail.
• Hold a current CITB, or equivalent Health and Safety Awareness Qualification.
• Full UK driving license.
• Be willing to participate in schedules of work out of normal working hours occasionally to meet maintenance management requirements and weather conditions.